California's Commission on Judicial Performance has their biennial Rules review meeting coming up. We submitted ten proposed changes to their rules.
Our proposed changes:
- Eliminate confidentiality of complaints.
- Public reporting of complaint data by judge and county.
- File Orders of Dismissal.
- Eliminate private disciplines. Three levels of discipline only: Public Admonishment, Public Censure, and Removal.
- Live broadcast of public disciplines.
- Judicial retaliation aggravating factor, may be separately disciplined even if initial complaint dismissed.
- Permanently maintain all complaints and investigative records.
- Description and establishment of specific criteria for “Preliminary Check”
- Definition and establishment of specific criteria for “Staff Inquiry” or “Preliminary Inquiry”
- Definition and establishment of specific criteria for“Preliminary Investigation”